Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Manners for Fantasy Fest

For those of you unfamiliar with Fantasy Fest, it's an event that takes place in Key West, Florida the last week in October.


If you think there are no manners for Fantasy Fest…you obviously don’t live in Key West full time. Key West is our community and Fantasy Fest is our way of inviting people in to have fun; to enjoy themselves by living out their fantasy and to spend money! Most of us living in Paradise full time are already living our fantasy by waking up to warm weather in the middle of January; diving the Vandenberg and getting a cafĂ© con leche on our bike. We Key Wester’s brace ourselves and batten down the hatches for the onslaught of Fantasy Fest, much like a hurricane. If everyone would be a little more considerate of each other, then Fantasy Fest would fulfill my fantasy and make it enjoyable even for the Conchs.
Q. I have been conversing with a woman online for several months. We both live in the Mid-West, but have not met yet. A good friend of mine attends Fantasy Fest in Key West every year and has a blast. I have checked it out online and would like to bring her. Do you think it would be a good idea to bring her to Fantasy Fest for our first date?
A. In a word, no. Fantasy Fest is an outrageous week long party where people loose their inhibitions and anything goes, even though I am trying to enforce good manners…You really need to know the person you are bringing, because it would be very bad manners to impose something you feel perfectly harmless and fun, like walking around in public half naked, on someone who may not agree, but feel pressured to comply because everyone seems to be doing it.
Q. One year I was at the Pretenders in Paradise event during Fantasy Fest and some guy kept yelling for the MC to take off her top. The MC almost had the guy thrown out. Didn’t the heckler have exhibit bad manners?
A. My darling…believe it or not, I was at that same event and I remember that heckler. Ordinarily I detest a heckler, but I sincerely believe that heckler was having fun. Personally, I think it added to the event, but of course some did not. I think a heckle or two, as long as it’s not disparaging in any way, like ‘Hey fatso, whose your Momma?” and not yelled more than twice, is within reason, during Fantasy Fest.
Q. I work in a local retail store in Key West and am amazed at the people that come in to try on clothes, naked in full body paint, drunk at night during Fantasy Fest. What do you think?
A. Seriously, who’s shopping? The people on the street at night during Fantasy Fest generally have no idea what they’re doing and I don’t think you can hold them accountable. Close the store, or make it invitation only and have a special shopping event to watch Fantasy Fest from inside in air conditioning with champagne. Wow, I’d attend that. You know where to reach me…send me an invite.
Q. We are always invited to ride on a float during Fantasy Fest, but I’ve found the riders get too drunk. How can we avoid this?
A. Dancing badly or puking on a Fantasy Fest float is very bad manners! You must make a decision and be firm. You may request that the booze on the float be limited, or that there be no drinking ahead of time or while riding, but remember the ones behaving badly will always do what they want…because they have the bad manners. So you need to find a new float to attach yourself too or forego the riding and find a nice event or cool spot to watch it from. I hear retail store may be having a shopping party. I’ll keep you posted.
Fantasy Fest or just living in paradise can be a challenge especially because it’s a frame of mind. Here are some easy ways to have good manners around town, so we can put some civility back in Key West.
When you see someone drunk, or hurt who has fallen in the street or on the sidewalk. Offer your assistance. I cannot tell you how many people I have helped up from fallen bikes, or tripping on our uneven sidewalks. Of course if they’re swinging mad, then call 911 and stay out of arms reach until the authorities arrive.
If you’re riding your bicycle…follow the rules that vehicles follow for street traffic. STOP at stop signs and stop lights. SIGNAL when you’re making a turn. Actually, it’s legal for bicycles to ride on sidewalks if the street traffic is too dangerous, but must give pedestrians the right of way. YES, IT IS! And PLEASE for goodness sake, go the correct direction in the bike lane.
If some one is really intoxicated, call a cab for them and DO NOT try and tell me you don’t have your cell phone with you, because I just heard it ringing next to me at dinner in my favorite restaurant!

The best part of living in paradise is that no one passes judgment, but that also means that we need to use our own good judgment. Have a fun and safe Fantasy Fest, and try and use your good manners.

Don't forget to listen to me at: KONK1680am at 1:00 est. every Friday, you can go to: KONKam.com and listen online.
xoxo Amanda

Twitter