Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Bar Tender Manners

I covered bar manners a while ago, but last night I really needed to address bar tender. He really had an attitude, the kind that makes New York look bad.

Carlyle Care is a fairly upscale place...in fact over the top expensive. The fee to enter to watch the show is $75.00, this is for standing room and then, there is a $25.00 minimum, so this fellow who was from out of town who wanted to watch Woody Allen with Eddie Davis basically paid $100.00 for the priveledge to stand behind a three foot pillar with a diet coke, but he could listen.

He didn't mind, but what was offensive was the attitude of the bar tender. Apparently, there were other incidents where patrons were not as complacent as this gentleman was to hear Woody and be in the same room. After all you can go on youtube and watch woody allen playing the clarinet, which I highly encourage. Unfortuanately, I have forgotten how to post youtubes in my blog...big cities do that to me. Anyway...at one point a lovely lady paid her $100 plus bill and he yelled at her across the room saying, "Lady, the bill is one-hundred dollars plus!" She stood dumbfounded and he repeated his request louder and directly to her holding her captive with his eyes. He then counted the money in front of him in emphasis and realized...she had given him a $100 bill, not a $1 as he thought, but did he appologize? Yes, but it wasn't effective.

I just didn't understand where he was coming from. The room was aglow with happiness listening to the fabulous rag-time jazz being played, the yummy food and the general all-around conviviality. He needed a real tweak in bar manners and customer service.

Oddly, I have run into this customer service issue before here in NYC. There must be a lot of rude customers, but never the less, all customers should be treated like virgins...indroctinate them gently, carefully and with manners and all of your customers will treat you as nicely as well with respect for you the proprietor.
I promise.
Until then, I will continue to be polite no matter how much the woman serving coffee behind the counter spits at me.
xoxoAmanda

Twitter