Wednesday, September 16, 2009

TAXI Manners

Taxi Click on Taxi to see the video:

You taxi drivers are certainly in your own world. This Friday 09/18/09 Doc Sid will be on my radio show 'Manners for Everyday Situations. You can find it online: www.konkam.com It's 1680 down here in Key West. Doc Sid is a great guy. He is a orthopeadic surgeon, but now drives a taxi. I interviewed him for a short film I did about people who drop out of respectable society positions and do what they want. He has a lot to talk about. In fact he talks a lot... which is why driving a taxi is perfect for him. It gives him a chance to meet new people, and he meets a lot of new people driving a cab in a tourist town.

There are a lot of manners involved in both driving a taxi and being a passenger. I travel to NYC once a month and am an avid subway rider. I used to be a speed demon, but now unless I'm on a freeway (west coast upbringing) I only drive about 40 mph at the most because of the confines of the narrow streets of Key West. The taxi drivers in NYC scare the bejeesus out of me, plus they are super expensive, hot in the summer, cold in the winter and sometimes really smelly. I always am nauseated when I step out of one.

Seriously, I try to be considerate. I always tip at least 20%, my daughter the New Yorker says I overtip and I always tell the driver thank you and to have a nice day or evening, much to my passengers chagrin. Maybe I'm just being labeld a patsy for being too nice...do you think that's it? The taxi drivers in NYC think I'm a patsy and aren't giving me any respect...

Anyway, you should tune into my radio show...it's always fun, we talk about everything. Call me at: 305-294-2769 with your questions or comments. I'll be on Friday at: 1:00pm est.

xoxoAmanda

Twitter